When you enroll your child at YCNS, you enroll yourself as well. YCNS is a cooperative nursery school and its future depends on parent involvement in all levels of the school's operations.
Through participation in this cooperative program the parent(s) will have the opportunity to..
- Develop a support system of people sharing a common factor of raising children.
- Join a warm and welcoming environment where parents may observe and be with their children as they learn and grow.
- Learn more about child development and parenting roles.
- Develop varied interpersonal and professional skills as they serve on the Board of Directors and on the numerous committees that administer the business of the school.
There are three categories that require parent participation at YCNS.
1. The parent's participation in the classroom is done on a rotational basis. Parent participation at this level effectively boosts the self-esteem and emotional well being of the child and enhances the parent-child relationship. Each class has a different set of requirements for the parent. The cleaning of the classroom is a required and important part of participation. Another is providing a healthy snack along with drink for the students in your child's class.
2. YCNS has several organized committees. Each family is asked to participate in one committee. See the Handbook for a complete list of committee descriptions.
3. There are two Workdays per year, one in the fall and one in the spring. The Workdays are for general maintenance in the building and on the grounds. One parent from each family is expected to participate in one (1) Workday. For the parent who finds this impossible, it is possible to perform an alternative service or pay the Workday fee. It is important to maintain a clean, healthy and safe environment for our children as well as a great learning environment.